Thai gold is usually 23 karat, meaning it is a very pure, highly valuable gold. It is a very bright, intense yellow in color. In recent years less pure gold pieces have made their way into the Thai gold market because they are stronger and more durable than pure, 23 karat gold – but pure gold still reigns supreme because of its investment potential. Next, let’s talk about the history of gold in Thailand.
Thailand was known as Siam up until 1939; the name Siam means gold in Sanskrit. The Chinese referred to Thailand as the ‘peninsula of gold’; and Indians called Thailand ‘the land of gold’. And even Buddha has historical roots in gold: Thailand is known for being the home of The Great Buddha of Thailand, a giant statue made in Buddha’s honor. Buddha’s skin is thought to have a golden complexion according to historical literature. Traditional Buddha and other religious statues are often made of gold, as are religious pendants and other jewelry of religious significance.
In Thailand, the Gold Baht is a highly collectable gold coin; it comes in several different denominations.
Gold is one of Thailand’s biggest exports. (Other big Thai exports are petroleum, rice, rubber and diamonds.) In 2004, Thailand exported more than 30 billion baht of gold jewelry. Thailand exports gold to the US, UK, and Hong Kong – but normally in 10 karat, 14 karat, and 18 karat gold jewelry pieces – while jewelry destined for the home market is generally 23 karat, though some pieces of less purity have made their way into the Thai market in recent years. In Thailand, gold is a booming sector with more than 6,000 gold shops in markets across the country; plus Bangkok is home to at least 60 gold wholesalers.
Thai gold is generally 23 karat and is stamped with a “965”. This gold is 96.5% pure gold; the other 3.5% of metals are silver and bronze. Some Thai dealers will also sell 22 karat gold, 20 karat gold and 18 karat gold – though 23 karat is by far the most popular with Thai consumers. Often Thai gold under 23 karats will not be stamped.
The first thing to know is that Thai gold jewelry is sold in baht. 1 baht is 15.16 grams of gold. Additionally, Thai gold is generally going to be 23 karats, which is very pure and very yellow in color.
Next, let’s talk about the “M” clasp, which is another way to identify whether jewelry is Thai gold.
Traditional Thai gold jewelry often comes with a specific gold clasp, known as an “M” clasp or an “N” clasp. The “M” clasp is for necklaces while the “N” clasp is for bracelets. They got their names because they look like the letter “M” and the letter “N” respectively. They are made of the same 23 karat gold Thai jewelry is made of and the color is the same too.
Why choose us? Let me tell you. Crown Gold Exchange holds the utmost respect for you and your valuables. When you visit one of our locations, we make sure that you feel welcome, and that your property is protected. We use industry-standard equipment to ensure accurate measurement of your valuables, and we have a special process to keep your valuables safe. Our accuracy enables us to offer you top dollar, and we have several different payment methods available for your convenience, so you won’t be waiting around to get paid.
Crown Gold Exchange will purchase any kind of gold you bring us, including 8-karat, 10-karat, 14-karat, 18-karat, 21-karat, 22-karat, 24-karat, or anything else. We buy gold bars, gold bullion, gold jewelry and some gold plated items like pocket watches. If you happen to be in possession of an exclusive piece made by a top gold designer such as Cartier, Tiffany, Rolex, or Patek Philippe, we will often pay more than the weight of the item. Such special pieces often command a higher price on the secondary market due to their superior craftsmanship.